Friday, September 25, 2009

That's supposed to make ME feel better?

The other day I saw an advertisement on TV for an attorney's firm.

People were holding up signs, smiling broadly and saying, "We owed the government $3 million back taxes and we only paid $1 million" and "We owed back taxes in the amount of $100,000 and we only paid $8,000."

Of course the law firm's representatives are smiling broadly, too. Why not? They probably made a nice chunk of change from "saving" those folks all that money.

So, when I get my tax bill, if I owe $500, I can just send the government $125, right? I don't think so!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but somehow those folks feeling so proud of themselves for cheating the government out of all that money just doesn't make me feel one bit happy at all.

1 comment:

  1. i began a career as a tax preparer in 1986. over the years i've helped hundreds of clients cut their taxes using legal tax deductions.

    the ads you refer to disturb me also. most people don't realize that if you are in a financial bind, IRS will work with you to make a payment plan you can live with. no special tax attorney is needed. what you have to provide are accurate records and proof that you are unable to pay in full. in some cases IRS will lower your amount due, depending on individual circumstances. and you can do it without making a tax attorney rich because of your plight.

    ReplyDelete