Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Make It Fun and the Family Will Help



Make It Fun and the Family Will Help


By The FlyLady, Marla Cilley

As sidetracked people, we are put off by anything that sounds like mundane housework. We are a fun-loving people. Why do we have to be stuck doing jobs we think will take us forever, when others are out having great time?

I have heard you many times as well as my own voice. We have a challenge every day to muster up enough gumption to get us moving. This is why I have tried to make it fun.

Timers have added an extra bit of fun and challenge to a project, but they also keep us on track. We all need to be reminded from time to time on what task we are doing. We can stay focused if all we have to do is 15 minutes. Children love timers, too.

Housework is such an ugly word. This is why I have tried to help you realize that you are not working when you are blessing your family!

We have been raised to believe that house cleaning is an all-day affair. No one needs to spend that kind of time maintaining your home. When you establish your routines and start dancing through your day with every move blessing your family, it is not like work at all.

I have always hated to dust. My mother made us remove everything from the tables, then dust and put everything back. It took what seemed like hours.
Now all I do is pull out my magic feather-dusting wand and buzz around my home while I am on the phone. Before I know it, our whole home -- every surface -- has been dusted. No mess or fuss! It has been done and I felt like a fairy princess gliding and dancing around my home. When was the last time you had that much fun dusting? If you take 2 minutes and feather dust every day, you will never have to see dusty finger streaks on your furniture. You know, the ones where someone in the family writes, "DUST ME!" In fact, you may never see dirt and dust again.

A real feather duster is a fun tool and mine even has some purple feathers in it. I feel so special when I use it. Just let me warn you, they can be addictive. When your family sees how much fun you are having, they will want to do it for you. This is kind of like Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence.

Children love the feather dusters too. It’s a tool that becomes a toy and does a job in the hands of your babies. Of course, you have to set the example and teach them how to use it.

Have you ever wondered how to get your children excited about keeping their rooms clean? I have a friend who figured it out many years ago and now she is making it available to everyone. Her creativity has children cleaning their rooms all over the world. Pam Young created the persona of the House Fairy. Go check out this other great tool for our children at http://www.housefairy.org/. Your children will run to clean their rooms.

Housework doesn't have to be dreaded. It can become a fun family game with everyone pitching in to help. You just need to make it enjoyable.

For more help getting rid of your CHAOS, check out her Web site and join her free mentoring group at www.FlyLady.net. Or get her books, “Sink Reflections,” published by Bantam and her New York Times best-selling book, “Body Clutter,” published by Fireside. Copyright 2010 Marla Cilley. Used by permission in this publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment