Sunday, February 14, 2010

Please vote

I met Anna Kononova of Russia two summers ago. She and a friend were working in North Platte for the summer as a way for Anna to develop her English-speaking skills.

I was coming out of my doctor's office one afternoon and two young ladies were walking by. They stopped to ask me for directions to the library. Of course I HAD to ask them where they were from originally. When they said Russia, I was quite interested in their story.

It happened that a reporter from the newspaper was arriving for her appointment at the same time as I was talking to Anna and her friend, so I introduced them and suggested to the reporter this might make an interesting story for the paper.

The story was eventually written, then the TV station did a segment on Anna and her friend. From all that, people opened their homes to the two young women, taking them sightseeing, feeding them and making them feel welcome.

Anna has now posted a photo in a contest and she has asked me to help her get some votes. I believe she told me the photo she entered was taken in North Platte, but I'm not sure about it.

All you have to do is click on this link:

http://konkurs.gidoskol.ru/vesna

Anna's photo is No. 46. Click on the blue button in that box. Once you have voted a small box will pop up with a message. It's in Russian so I have no idea what it says, but Anna explained it's a message similar to saying your vote has been accepted.

You do not have to register and voting is free. You can vote daily until the end of the contest, which is the first part of March.

Thank you for doing this for Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment